Thursday, November 19, 2009

Some 550 Four Love

My 1974 Honda 550 Four. I got her started and took her on a few quick rides to get her juices flowing.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Tail light

Also, forgot to mention we removed the rear grab rail and I ordered a new tail light to get rid of the "porch" on the back.

Added Gas Vr00m VrooM

New plugs, new gas, fresh paint. She started.

Friday, November 13, 2009

Pre Friday the 13th

Well, I had to remove all the paint on both sides of the engine with the wire wheel.   It was drying and cracking, I suppose where the gas has leaked.  I ground it down and prepped it with alcohol.  Repainted hopefully for the last time.  I hope to put gas in it today and start her up.  I put the battery on a trickle charger but it was fully charged, so that is a good sign.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Throwing deuces

So, started the day by taping everything off.  The engine was just so badly gone that there was no choice but to "murder" it out.  Today is Wednesday and at this point I have sanded, steel wooled and repainted the engine about four times.   Tuesday we got the front dust boot on.  Found a NOS Honda part and took the front end off, replaced it, and lowered the front about 1/2 inch.  Well, mainly Tony did.  I just held stuff.  Today we replaced the fuel line with brand new blue line, put in two fresh spark plugs and painted about three times, semi unsuccessfully.  Tomorrow I will sand and repaint, hopefully with better luck and refill the gas tank, as it decided to take a big leak Sunday night.  As far as the bike is concerned its coming down the home stretch for a bit.   Just trying to get the paint straight.
Noah gives the new look two fingers up.

Friday, November 6, 2009

New bars, New life

Well, got the bike back from the shop. Bars were quite a feat. The seat and grips were so off in color that we had no choice but to strip the tape off. The grips are true vintage so we were really left without a choice. I am just going to sew up the sides of the seat with the machine. Carbs were adjusted. Seems to be running pretty good. Touched up the exhaust once again and have begun the long, long process of cleaning the engine up.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009


Photos are of the rides I took today. One is the 360t out to Bret's. The other is the 400A out and around Cary. [of course, its acting up as well. Maybe just from sitting around.]

Didn't get too much done today. Tony and I started taking the bars off and realized the factory bars were internally wired, which was way too much work for either of us today. We had no interest in rewiring the controls and since the bike was headed to TPT tomorrow for a general physical and carb sync and adjustment anyway, we decided to let Bret do it ALL.
He now has everything and am awaiting the news as to why the bike dies in first and neutral at stoplights. I do hope it is an affordable fix. Just dirty carbs, petcock or air filter. Fingers crossed and can't wait to see the new looks with new bars and grips. Will update asap.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Okay, having some fuel issues. The gas lines leaked out all over the exhaust, stripping the paint back to bare metal. Tony and I lifted the bike on the center stand. I repainted the entire exhaust. We taped off the bottom half of the engine. Painted that. Painted the down tubes. Today Tony removed the old, nasty grips. We have the bars and new grips in and will be installing them Monday or Tuesday. Then fixing the fuel leak and taking the bike to TPT to have the carbs cleaned and synced. Afterwards, the one part the bike is missing is the left side fork boot. I am looking for a reasonably priced set on eBay. Friday night we taped off the bottom half of the cut down factory seat with turquoise ducktape and are currently looking for a wild image to stencil on the back of the seat. Hoping that paint will stick fairly well to that porous situation. Hopefully Tuesday I will be able to take the nasty beast on a ride out to TPT. Or at least by Wednesday.